Jalandhar was erected as a Prefecture Apostolic in 1952 and was entrusted for development to the British Capuchin Province.
- The Holy See appointed Fr. Alban Swarbrick OFM Cap., who was serving in Delhi, as the first Prefect Apostolic.
The Prefecture was raised to the status of a Diocese on December 6, 1971 by the Apostolic Bull “Ad Perpetuam Rei Memoriam”, Pope Paul VI and Rt. Rev. Msgr. Symphorian Keeprath OFM Cap., of the Indian Province of the Capuchins with its headquarters in Kerala, was appointed its first Bishop.
- Rt. Rev. Dr. Symphorian Keeprath OFM Cap was appointed its first Bishop.
Rt. Rev. Dr. Symphorian Keeprath OFM Cap was consecrated as bishop on 18th March 1972 at St. Francis School Grounds, Amritsar and was installed on 22 March 1972 at St. Mary’s Cathedral, Jalandhar Cantt.
Sacerdotal Silver Jubilee of Rt. Rev. Dr. Symphorian Keeprath OFM Cap
Silver Jubilee of the Diocese & the Episcopal Silver Jubilee of Rt. Rev. Dr. Symphorian Keeprath OFM Cap
Bishop Symphorian Keeprath served the Diocese for the next 35 years and saw to its steady growth on all fronts. The number of faithful increased from 15,000 in 1972 to 1,15,000 in 2006.
Rt. Rev. Dr. Symphorian Keeprath OFM Cap gives his resignation, due to his reaching the canonical age of retirement, was accepted by the Holy Father Pope Benedict XVI on February 24, 2007.
- Rt. Rev. Dr. Anil Joseph Thomas Couto, Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Delhi, was appointed as his successor. He was installed as the second Bishop of Jalandhar on April 15, 2007 at the Cathedral in Jalandhar Cantt .
Sacerdotal Golden Jubilee of Rt. Rev. Dr. Symphorian Keeprath OFM Cap
First Diocesan Synod was held.
Rt. Rev. Dr. Anil Joseph Thomas Couto is appointed as the Metropolitan Archbishop of Delhi. He continued as the Apostolic Administrator of Jalandhar till the installation of Most. Rev. Dr. Franco Mulakkal as the third Bishop of Jalandhar.
- Rt. Rev. Dr. Franco Mulakkal is appointed as the third Bishop of Jalandhar.
- Rt. Rev. Dr. Franco Mulakkal is installed as the third Bishop of Jalandhar on August 4, 2013.
Rt. Rev. Dr. Symphorian Keeprath OFM Cap, the first bishop of the diocese was called back to the Lord for his eternal reward on May 3, 2015. His mortal remains were laid to rest at St. Mary’s Cathedral, Jalandhar Cantt., on May 9, 2015 in a solemn celebration of the funeral rites attended by several ecclesiastical and civil dignitaries.
Rt. Most Rev. Franco Mulakkal requests His Holiness Pope Francis to relieve him temporarily from the administration of the Diocese. His request was accepted and he was relieved of the administration of the diocese on 20th September 2018.
- Bishop Agnelo Rufino Gracias was appointed Apostolic Administrator, Sede Plena, of the Diocese of Jalandhar, with effect from September 20, 2018.
- Bishop Agnelo Gracias officially took the charge as the Apostolic Administrator of the Diocese of Jalandhar during the Eucharistic Celebration on October 8, 2018.